Me, Myself and I

I have this tight circle from high school called Dejolimenoris and we've been hanging out ever since. One of the moments we continuously use as an excuse to meet up is birthdays. The person who's having birthday will treat the rest of us, and in exchange, we would give a birthday present. It's been going on for almost a decade until it finally became more like a routine. Finding the perfect birthday present may sometimes wastes time and often still could not fully satisfy the birthday person (it shows in their expression when they open the present). And eating out at a fine dining restaurant these days may become a burden for some of us.

So starting from this year, we decided we will not celebrate any birthday and no birthday present will be given. Thus, we only we meet up when we want to. Less frequent but more meaningful.

And the first birthday of the year happened to be mine.

I didn't feel sad. But I did feel something was off. A few days before my birthday, I unconsciously searched for a nice restaurant to treat my friends, completely forgot we have canceled the tradition.

But at the same time I felt excited to have my personal time during my birthday. Instead of treating my friends, I would treat myself. And instead of letting my friends guessing the best present for me, I would buy them myself.

Don't get me wrong. I love my friends. And I would love to hang out with them on my birthday. But having 'me time' once in a while, especially on my birthday, sounds great too.

So I picked Paulaner Brauhaus at Grand Indonesia to have lunch. I've been quite curious about this German restaurant for some time. And it turned out pretty awesome too. The Bavarian ambience was so nice and cozy. The boiled white sausages "Weisswurst" I ordered was tender and tasty. I had never eaten boiled sausage before and I thought since it was boiled, I could smell the "piggy porky" while eating. But it did not. Not only the spices cover the smell, but the consistency of the sausage itself was perfect. I literally stared at the sausage and tried to figure out the ingredients. I failed, of course. Haha.

Then I went for a little shopping, using 'birthday present' as an excuse. I bought two summer shirts and one slim shirt for my dad (I don't know why but I've been picturing my dad in sort of stylish Korean ahjussi).

And later I went to Starbucks to get their  free birthday grande size beverage upon purchase of any item of food. With macchiato and cheese cake on one hand, and H&M shopping bag on the other hand, I went back home feeling contented.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Contoh Soal dan Essay IELTS Writing Task 2

IELTS Writing Task 2

Romantic Doctor, Teacher Kim - Classy Korean Drama

Study in Fuzhou - Fujian Normal University

IELTS Writing Task 1

Penipuan Derawan Trip oleh @derawan_island

Travel in China : Shanghai 上海 - Hangzhou 杭州

Travel in China : Xi'an 西安 - Huaqing Pool & Terracotta Warriors

Coincidence...?

Eng ing eng.....